My Approach To Psychotherapy
- I have over 35 years as a New York State Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- I have a wealth of experience working with people from varied backgrounds
- From the initial contact and throughout treatment I try to create a warm, interactive, positive environment for people to look at their issues
- My philosophy is "Let's talk. Things can change."
- The areas that I have worked extensively with are issues of anxiety, depression, trust, shame, relationships, communication problems, alcoholism, codependency, career issues, and coping with physical illness
- In addition to talk therapy I am trained and certified psychodramatist in experiential methods
- I have found that for many people experiential exercises can help them deal with their issues more effectively
- I facilitate weekly and monthly groups, as well as winter and summer intensive workshops which use experiential techniques for personal growth and training
Supervisor / Consultant / Trainer
- I received my MSW from Columbia University School of Social Work
- I am an Adjunct Instructor at Fordham University School of Professional and Continuing Studies
- I have been in private practice since 1980
- I consult, supervise and train other mental health professionals
- At the Sociometric Institute, I am Director of the New York State approved Continuing Education Program for social workers, mental health counselors, and creative arts therapists
- I am also the Co-Director of the Psychodrama Training Institute: a division of the Sociometric Institute NYC
CURIOUS ABOUT PSYCHODRAMA?
Watch this short video
"During a psychodrama group with Nan, I did a drama in which someone played the role of my father. I was able to have a conversation with him expressing how I felt about his substance abuse and behavior when I was growing up. This allowed me to safely express my emotions and issues that I struggled with. As a result, my relationship has opened up with my father."
Psychodrama Group Participant
"I feel like I've been on a journey with you [Nan], ending up in a different place, as a different clinician, but also a changed person."
Therapist attending supervision & training in Psychodrama
"Thank you, Nan! I appreciate your input, humor, grace, listening, experience and skill. I am grateful for your presence and support." Licensed Clinical Social Worker Supervisee